Monday, January 24, 2011

Watercolor painting


Watercolor painting is a favorite activity in our house. It's cheap, easy and not particularly messy. I also like to use it for an activity that doesn't need a lot of guidance or supervision. I can easily set G up with a thing of cheap watercolor paints, paper and a glass of water while I clean the bathroom or tend to her younger sister. Please remember that not all children will be up for this kind of independent activity and be prepared to clean paint from your carpets, table, floors, walls and kid if you do decide to walk away for a few minutes.

When I set G up with a project such as this I
follow these steps:
  • I cover the table in paper. I do this so she will have a large surface on which to paint on, and so I won't have to change her paper every two minutes. I'm not worried about messes; watercolors clean up easily. If you are worried, lay a vinyl shower curtain or table cloth down before your paper. Tape the paper down so your artist can paint freely without worrying about the paper shifting around.
  • I pre-moisten the watercolor paints for her (I use the cheap watercolors because she likes to mix and blend and have access to the whole pot of paints and also because that is what I have easiest access to). I show her how to drop a little bit of water with her brush to make the paints wetter, if that's what she would like.
  • I give her a small container of water to clean her brushes with. I used to use a normal glass but found she's less likely to drink the water if I put it in a jar or other container.
  • I give her three brushes and ONLY three brushes: a large, a medium, and a small. With these three brushes she can paint using different strokes without being overwhelmed by choices.
  • Sometimes I show her different ways of using the paints, like getting the paper wet and then adding the colors, but most often I sit back and let her explore on her own.
I admit that I am not an artist and I don't know a whole lot about the appropriate methods for watercolor painting. I may be doing it all wrong but that's not the point anyway. Focus on the process, not the product.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com